Friday, March 7, 2008

Beckham: I'm fit for my 100th England Cap

Becks is fit and raring to go for that special 100th Cap for England

David Beckham has insisted he is fit and ready to return to the England side for the friendly on March 26th. Speaking after LA Galaxy's 3-0 defeat of Shanghai on Wednesday he said "Fitness-wise, I'll be perfect," he said. "But it's about performing and hopefully I'll do that." Beckham also feels he can go beyond the 100 cap mark and extend his international career well beyond the game against France.

"That's what he (Capello) said to me. I knew that from the conversation I had with him," he said. "He said that once I'm back playing and if I'm fit, and I'm playing well enough, then he'll pick me. With the first game after he took charge, I hadn't played any games and he explained that to me. I've played three games so far now and got through them all.

"I believe I can play for my country for a good few more years yet, that's just me being honest. I believe that I can still play at that level."

Injury doubts about Beckham surfaced after he was substituted during LA Galaxy's win in Shanghai on Wednesday after he suffered a minor thigh injury. Despite this, Beckham insisted he would be fit for the side's third game of a three-match Asian Tour in Hong Kong and that would be ready for any call from England.

Critcs have suggested he may well get fit, but that he is now playing against significantly inferior opposition, while in response Beckham speaks highly of the American game.

"The standard is slightly different in the US but it's not as low as everybody thinks. We've got some very good teams and very good players and we play some really good football so we'll just have to wait and see."

If he gets that extra special 100th cap Beckham is set to join Peter Shilton, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Billy Wright as only the fifth player to pass the century mark for England.

"Reaching 100 games and reaching 100 caps is very special," he added.

We really can't see why Beckham recieves criticism. He has only ever given his all for club and country, and despite courting fame throughout his career, he has never let his fame and celebrity disrupt his football. Footy Focus, we salute you Mr Beckham!



0 comments:

Blog Partners